**Update: This position has been filled**
Application Deadline: July 21, 2014
Start Date: TBD August / Sept 2014
Expired: Job Announcement for Local Food Access Coordinator
Rural Advancement Foundation International USA (RAFI) seeks a talented individual to
significantly increase the ability of NC farmers markets and other direct market farm outlets to serve low-wealth communities and address access to healthy, sustainably raised food.
The primary responsibility of the position is to coordinate a series of workshops and
initiatives for farmers market managers, farmers, SNAP recipients and agencies that serve
SNAP recipients for the purpose of increasing healthy local food consumption. This project
is in partnership with Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project (ASAP).
The Local Food Access Coordinator will work under the supervision of the director of the
Come to the Table project as a part of a broader initiative to identify and develop market-based solutions to food access. It will be coordinated with the Come to the Table Project, a joint project of RAFI and the NC Council of Churches whose mission is to relieve hunger while strengthening just and sustainable agriculture in rural North Carolina by engaging and mobilizing people of faith, farmers and communities.
● Collaborate with ASAP to develop training EBT Access training modules and curriculum for market managers and farmers on maximizing SNAP / EBT participation at local produce outlets
● Serve as lead organizer for 24 trainings per year in NC Tier 1 Counties
● Assist ASAP in organizing and conducting 3 trainings per year in NC locations determined by ASAP
● Launch consumer incentive program at 35 local fresh produce outlets per year in NC Tier 1 Counties
● Oversee data collection for markets with consumer incentive programs
● Create outreach plan and conduct outreach to stakeholders in all NC Tier 1 counties, including farmers market managers, farmers market vendors and agencies or organizations that serve SNAP recipients for the purpose of determining current status of EBT access programs, connecting to existing resources, and providing technical assistance
● Serve as RAFI’s lead on collaboration with ASAP, including potential development
of statewide farmers market forum
● Develop web and print materials on local food access, including blog posts, the Come to the Table website and newsletter
● Evaluate and report on program results for funders
● Assist development staff with fundraising as needed
● Perform other administrative functions and provide program support as needed
● 3 – 5 years experience in farmers market management
● Knowledge of and experience with Federal Nutrition Incentive Programs, especially
● Experience working with diverse stakeholders of multiple faiths, races, and ethnicities, especially rural, low income, food-insecure and farm families
● Experience in managing volunteers, event planning and coalition management
● Understanding of issues related to community food security, food sovereignty and farm-based
● Experience participating in coalition work at a state level
● Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills
● Success in working collaboratively and building solid working relationships
● Familiarity with NC faith community, NC food security community and NC farm community
● Proficiency in Spanish a plus
The foregoing is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
RAFI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from diverse groups.