The Farmstand is a blog written by the staff and guests of the Rural Advancement Foundation International covering key issues relevant to the development of markets, policies, and communities that support thriving, socially just, and environmentally sound family farms.
- Press release: RAFI-USA 2019 Agricultural Reinvestment Fund Grants for Farmers - RAFI-USA 2019 Agricultural Reinvestment Fund Grants for Farmers 25+ grants to be awarded to NC farmers for innovative projects MEDIA CONTACT: Daryn Lane, RAFI-USA(919) 542-1396, x email@example.com PITTSBORO, NC, November 20, 2018—The Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) is now accepting applications for the 2019 Agricultural Reinvestment Fund (ARF) grant program.With funding support from the North Carolina Tobacco Trust Fund Commission, the ARF grant program provides cost-share grants to entrepreneurial and innovative farmers and collaborative farmer groups to help them develop new sources of agricultural income. The program awards at least 25 ...>Read More
- Cleaning Up After Hurricane Florence: Information for Contract Poultry and Livestock Producers in North Carolina - The impact of Hurricane Florence has left poultry and hog farmers across the state with damages to their homes, land, and essential farm equipment. Farmers may also face the added dilemma of livestock mortality. Disaster recovery and rebuilding is a long road. Cleanup can be challenging and expensive. And accessing funds to assist in disaster recovery can be confusing and overwhelming. This fact sheet includes information about programs and loans available to assist farmers in this recovery process. General Tips for Disaster RecoveryAssistance for disaster recovery may not be available ...>Read More
- Hurricane Florence: Mass Poultry Mortality Disposal Options for Farmers - Hurricane Florence, its torrential rains, and the historic flooding it created have left many across the Carolinas without power, reliable drinking water, and experiencing tremendous loss. When disaster strikes like this, farmers often find themselves facing loss or damage to their home, to their land or essential farm equipment, and a long road to recovery and rebuilding. On top of that, as the flood waters recede, poultry, hog, and other livestock farmers will face another dilemma - the loss of livestock and the need to deal with their remains. For ...>Read More
- Hurricane Florence: Prepare your Farm and Stay Safe - In the days following the storm, getting assistance will require being very organized at a time when your life is chaotic. We have seen over and over in many disaster situations that being able to access assistance often makes the difference between farms surviving or not. Below are steps you can take to prepare before and after Florence and a list of disaster recovery resources. Please know that when the storm has passed, there are many of us and partners across the country ready to assist. Farmers, please call us ...>Read More
- Farming While Black: Uprooting Racism, Seeding Sovereignty - This event is part of Food Week of Action (October 14-21, 2018). Learn more.Join us Tuesday evening, October the 16th for a presentation by Amani Olugbala of Soul Fire Farm.Equity at the Table Speaker Series “Farming While Black: Uprooting Racism, Seeding Sovereignty”Speaker:Amani OlugbalaTuesday, October 16, 2018, 7:00-8:30pm // The Vault at the Palace International, 1104 Broad Street // Durham, NC, 27705Click Here to RSVPDownload Event FlyerLecture Description: Some of our most cherished sustainable farming practices - from organic agriculture to the farm cooperative and the CSA - have roots in African ...>Read More
- Farm Bill Conference Committee Advocacy Series: Whole-Farm Revenue Protection Crop Insurance - The farm bill Conference Committee has the opportunity to move forward important changes to Whole-Farm Revenue Protection (WFRP) crop insurance present in both the House and Senate versions of the farm bill.
- Press release: Tyson Moves to Increase Lion’s Share of Market Control - August 29, 2018— According to Bloomberg, Tyson Foods closed a deal to purchase Keystone Foods LLC from Marfrig Global Foods SA for a reported $2.16 billion. Tyson, along with three other companies (Pilgrim’s Pride, Sanderson Farms, and Perdue Farms), currently controls more than half of the U.S. poultry industry. With this purchase, Tyson will now have a larger global reach as Keystone Foods is a main supplier of chicken nuggets to McDonald’s Corp.
- Farm Bill Conference Committee Advocacy Series: Conservation Practices in Crop Insurance - 2017 set the record for disaster losses with over $5 billion in agricultural losses alone. Many U.S. farmers have still not recovered and some will never recover. Federal payments are crucial for disaster recovery. Major natural disasters are one of the times when individual states and communities rely on the assistance of the rest of the country. Ideally, the whole country comes together to help a smaller part of the country to recover when a disaster is beyond the resources of that community to recover on their own. But in ...>Read More
- Farm Bill Conference Committee Advocacy Series: Lighting the LAMP for Stronger Local and Regional Food Systems - Greater support for local and regional food systems development is sorely needed to keep pace with growing consumer demand. Ask your legislator to support the Local Agriculture Market Program (LAMP), and include it in the final version of the Farm Bill.
- Job Posting: Communications Manager – Apply by September 15 - Click here to apply online. Applications will be accepted until September 15. The Rural Advancement Foundation International is seeking a one-year communications fellow position to start this year, for their Pittsboro, North Carolina office. This position comes with a unique opportunity to benefit from training and mentoring from Resource Media, a national communications agency that exclusively specializes in social change. The position has a potential to extend beyond one year, contingent on fundraising opportunities. We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced communications expert. The Communications Manager will play two important roles ...>Read More