NC Mining & Energy Commission Releases “Hearing Officers’ Report” on Draft Fracking Rules (11/6/2014) - Yesterday, the North Carolina Mining and Energy Commission (MEC) released the Hearing Officers’ Report written in response to public comments on MEC draft fracking rules. (Scroll down to download or...
Action Alert: NC Fracking Rules Comment Period Opens (7/23/2014) - July 2014 Dear Friends, Earlier this summer, the North Carolina Mining and Energy Commission (MEC) completed the drafting of hydraulic fracturing rules. It is critical that MEC members hear from...
Action Alert: NC General Assembly and Governor Fast-track Fracking (6/6/2014) - Expired Action Alert June 2014 – Thank you for taking action last week against SB 786, also known as the Energy Modernization Act. Unfortunately, the General Assembly voted to fast-track...
Action Alert: NC Legislators Take Reckless Step Toward Fracking (SB 786) (5/22/2014) - Once again, North Carolina legislators are trying to move North Carolina closer to fracking by pre-approving rules written by the Mining and Energy Commission. Take action now!
[NEWS] Lee County homeowners fight fracking (3/24/2014) - A radio story for Carolina Connection highlights how mineral rights leases are obtained by gas companies, which can put a drill on someone's land without the landowner's consent.
Landowner Workshop Dec. 14 in Sanford (12/2/2013) - On Dec. 14, RAFI is co-sponsoring a workshop in Sanford, NC, for landowners who have leased their land, those considering a lease and anyone concerned about landowner rights and the impacts of natural gas and hydrofracking.
UPDATED GRAPHIC: What does Compulsory Pooling mean? (9/11/2013) - Even with a 90% threshold of consent for drilling, more than half of area landowners could be pooled against their will.
IN THE NEWS: Fracking Rule Gets New Scrutiny (9/5/2013) - Compulsory pooling is “a particularly bad infringement on landowners’ ability to decide what to do with their own resource,” said James Robinson, director of the RAFI's Landowner Rights and Fracking Project.
PRESS RELEASE: Recommendations for Forced Pooling Will Be Finalized Tomorrow at 1 p.m. (8/27/2013) - RAFI is urging landowners and community members, especially from Lee, Moore and Chatham Counties, to attend the meeting and voice their opinions tomorrow at the Compulsory Pooling Study Group's public meeting.
Farm Bill 2013: The time is now (6/20/2013) - UPDATE: House rejects Farm Bill, June 20 | Years, even decades, of work can come down to a 5-minute vote in an obscure committee. We hope that you will trust us, and our partners, that, when we ask you to take action on the Farm Bill, it is because that action is important and effective.
In the News: Landowner rights addressed at local forum – The Stokes News (5/31/2013) - RAFI-USA research and policy associate James Robinson travels the state to present at a number of forums about Landowner Rights and Fracking. He was recently featured in The Stokes News after presenting in Danbury, NC.
New recommendations to protect landowners in compulsory pooling debate (5/1/2013) - North Carolina’s compulsory pooling law is incomplete compared to the rest of the country. RAFI has raised strong objections to forced pooling. We believe it should not be allowed, and, if allowed, should have very high threshold requirements and low penalties.
Proposed NC Fracking: We are at a critical point. (4/26/2013) - Over the last five months, the Mining and Energy Commission’s Compulsory Pooling Study Group (CPSG) has been studying forced pooling, known as compulsory pooling in North Carolina. (To learn more...
Recent Media Coverage:
- Driller apparently wants to frack Meadowmont in Chapel Hill, INDY Week’s News Blog, July 23, 2014
- Fracking company makes offers in Durham, INDY Week’s News Blog, July 22, 2014
- N.C. fracking board member zings advisory group, News & Observer, February 2, 2013
- Head of cleanup company guides N.C. ‘fracking’ rules, blasts advisory panel as unqualified. Winston-Salem Journal, Jan. 26, 2013
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association’s 2012 Awards. Activist of the Year: Rural Advancement Foundation International, October 2012
- What can Landowners and Communities Do About Fracking? TreeHugger, February 2012
- Would Fracking in NC Include Consumer Protections? Public News Service, February 2012
- Fracking session to over landowner rights and protections. News & Observer, April 2012
- Woes of fracking fill air at summit, News & Observer, September 2011
- Fracking: Leases are Very Complex. The Pilot, August 2011
- N.C. landowners signing one-sided agreements with fracking companies, Indyweek, May 2011