The Agricultural Reinvestment Fund grant program assists entrepreneurial and innovative farmers and collaborative groups in developing new sources of agricultural income. The program awards grants of up to $9,000 to individual farmers and up to $11,000 for collaborative farmer projects located in North Carolina. We award at least 25 grants per year. Founded in 1997 as the Tobacco Communities Reinvestment Fund, the program has funded 600+ farming projects and distributed more than $6 million in funds to agricultural communities.Important Dates
- Early bird deadline EXTENDED: December 22, 2017
Final application deadline EXTENDED due to inclement weather: Friday, January 19, 2018, 5:00pm EST*
- *Note the RAFI-USA office will be closed January 17 and possibly January 18 due to inclement weather. Program Coordinator, Daryn Lane, will be available to answer applicant’s questions at 919-542-1396, ext 213 or by email at email@example.com.
- Award notification no later than: February 28, 2018
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early bird to receive feedback before the final deadline.
- Print & mail your application postmarked by January 19, 5:00pm to: RAFI-USA, Attn: Daryn Lane, PO Box 640, Pittsboro, NC 27312
- Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Grant application 2018” by January 19, 5:00pm
- Fax your application with a cover sheet including your name by January 19, 5:00pm to: 919-542-0069
- Print & deliver your application in person to the RAFI-USA office located at: 274 Pittsboro Elementary School Rd, Pittsboro, NC on Friday, January 19, when the office reopens, from 9:00am-5:00pm
2018 Eligible Counties:
Alamance, Bertie, Caswell, Chatham, Chowan, Davidson, Davie, Durham, Franklin, Granville, Halifax, Hertford, Northampton, Orange, Person, Randolph, Rowan, Vance, Wake, and Warren. (Click here to learn about similar grant programs in other NC counties.)
Please fill out the inquiry form below to receive an application and to receive updates on due dates or other information pertaining to the 2018 grant cycle:
Download an application for the 2018 Agricultural Reinvestment Fund grant program here.
Download a flyer about the 2018 Agricultural Reinvestment Fund grant program here.
Download a short PDF on how to write a successful proposal here.
Program Impact (2012-2016)
- 122 – Cost-share Grants Awarded to Farmers
- 606 – Jobs Created
- 25,808 – Acres of Farmland Preserved
- $1 Million – Invested in Rural Communities
- $1,227,964.48 – Invested by Farmers
RAFI-USA initiated the grant program in 1997 to assist farmers transitioning out of conventional tobacco production transform their farms and put their own ideas to work. Today, the grant program is dedicated to assisting all kinds of farmers in transforming and strengthening their farms, enhancing their sustainability and financial viability.
- Click here for our list of the 2017 grant recipients.
- Click here to view a list of past grant recipients.
RAFI’s Agricultural Reinvestment Fund is supported by a grant from the NC Tobacco Trust Fund Commission. We thank the Tobacco Trust Fund Commission for their commitment to North Carolina farmers and to RAFI’s work to support them.