Our documentary film, Under Contract: Farmers and the Fine Print, premiered on February 1st, 2017. It’s now available online here and on our page on Vimeo On Demand.
Farmers, please feel free to watch the film for free! It’s one small way that we’re saying thanks to the farmers who provide so much to our communities.
Thanks again for the work you do, and please let other farmers know about this film. Please note that all proceeds from this film will support our direct work with farmers in financial crisis and our work to level the playing field for farmers under contract.
Two Ways to Watch the Film for Free
1. To watch the film for free on Vimeo, click this link and your promo code will be applied automatically: https://vimeo.com/r/1UIE/ejNiZ2RtcD
2. To watch the film for free from this page, click on the video above and use the following promo code: UCFree
About Under Contract
For the first time in a full-length documentary, contract farmers tell their stories and industry experts reveal how the corporate production model pits farmer against farmer.
Under Contract: Farmers and the Fine Print takes audiences on a road trip across the American South and to Southern India to understand what’s happening to farmers living under contract and what we can do to change our food system for the better. The story of the contract farmer is the story of what’s changing in rural America. Power in agriculture is changing hands, but few people know what’s happening to the farmers producing our food.
Under Contract tells this story through the lens of global poultry farming. In the U.S. alone, 97% of the chicken produced is raised by family farmers under contract with large companies. Around the world and all across agriculture, contract farming is taking hold. But farmers who sign contracts often face unfair challenges and hidden risks under the terms that are offered by large firms. Under Contract provides a timely glimpse into the little understood fine print of modern agriculture.
- Download the Under Contract Viewers Guide (PDF)
RAFI & Under Contract In the News
- Associated Press – Chicken farmers say processors treat them like servants
- Food Republic – This Film Blows The Doors Off The Chicken-Farming Industry
- Bloomberg – Trump Must Choose Between Farmers and ‘Big Meat’
- POLITICO – Chicken farmers hope Trump will jump on GIPSA train
- NPR – After A Long Fight, New Rules Defend Small Farmers. For Now.
- The Wall Street Journal – USDA Issues New Rules Aimed at Protecting Farmers
- Mother Jones – Obama’s USDA Just Played Chicken With the Trump Transition Team
- Paste Magazine – Talking Under Contract with Sally Lee