About the Network
RAFI’s leadership program helps farmers be effective voices for their needs and issues in rooms where agricultural decisions are made. We believe that through civic engagement, farmers can represent their concerns, campaign for change, and make the agricultural system work to serve them better.
We work with individual farmers and farm groups in North Carolina and across the region to support democratic processes with high-risk farmer populations. Our goal is to increase self-representation among the Southeast’s diverse farm communities.
For more information or to join the Farmer Leadership Network, email Kavita at email@example.com or call 919-621-0534.
Click here to learn more about Farm Service Agency County Committees and how farmers can participate in this important decision-making bodies.
Are you a farmer living in a Tier 1 NC county? We are making a special effort to serve farmers located in North Carolina’s Tier 1 counties, which are classified as “economically distressed” by the NC Department of Commerce. Tier 1 counties include: Alleghany, Anson, Beaufort, Bertie, Bladen, Burke, Caldwell, Camden, Caswell, Chowan, Clay, Columbus, Edgecombe, Gates, Graham, Greene, Halifax, Hertford, Hoke, Hyde, Jackson, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Mitchell, Montgomery, Northampton, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Richmond, Robeson, Rockingham, Rutherford, Scotland, Surry, Swain, Tyrrell, Vance, Warren, Washington, and Wilson.
Recent Blog Posts
- Nominations Open for FSA County Committees (6/25/2015) - Want to be part of making policies that better help farmers in your area? Nominations are now being accepted for new members of local Farm Service Agency (FSA) county committee. Farmers can nominate themselves or other farmers to be on the committee. Nomination forms are available from your local FSA office and are due by August 3rd, 2015. For more information on how to run for the committee, contact Kavita at 919-621-0534 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Every (Farmer’s) Vote Counts: Jillian Mickens (11/26/2014) - Farmers, cast your ballots for FSA county committee members by this Monday, December 1st. If you are in Orange County, meet another candidate we support, Jillian Mickens of Open Door Farm. What is your name, and where do you farm? Jillian Mickens. I farm in Cedar Grove in Orange County. How long have […]
- Every (Farmer’s) Vote Counts: Candidate Highlight of Dorathy Barker (11/21/2014) - In our “Every (Farmer’s) Vote Counts” series, we here at RAFI have been spreading the word about ongoing FSA county committee elections. As part of our Farmer Leadership Network, we support family farmers to become more involved in the groups that make decisions about their farms and their livelihoods.
- Every (Farmer’s) Vote Counts: How to Fill an FSA Ballot (11/19/2014) - As part of our Farmer Leadership Network, we support family farmers to become more involved with the groups that make decisions that affect their lives. Currently, one group up for election are FSA county committees. For a refresher on these committees, click here. Are you ready to vote in your FSA county committee election but […]
- Every (Farmer’s) Vote Counts: FSA County Committees (11/18/2014) - Calling all farmers! Do you want to stand up for your interests in a meaningful way? Go straight to the source and vote in your local Farm Service Agency (FSA) county committee election!
- FSA County Commitee Nominations Close August 1st! (7/11/2014) - The nomination period for Farm Service Agency (FSA) county committees began on June 15th and will close on August 1st. The Secretary of Agriculture, Tom Vilsack, describes county committees as a "vital link between the farm community and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.”
- Announcing the Farmer Leadership Network (7/11/2014) - RAFI is excited to announce the development of a Farmer Leadership Network. Learn more here...