In Spring 2015, we launched the Farm Fresh and Healthy Pilot Program with farmers markets and roadside stands in North Carolina Tier 1 counties. Our goal is to increase access to fruits and vegetables for SNAP/EBT users while also boosting revenues for farmers selling at participating markets. The primary strategy in this initial phase is the Fresh Bucks consumer incentive program which we are launching at each produce outlet.
- Elaney Wood Heritage Farmers Market, Snow Hill, Greene County
- Market Square Farmers Market, Reidsville, Rockingham County
- Teens Leading Change Roadside Stand, Aurora, Beaufort County
- Morganton Farmers Market, Morganton, Burke County
- Historic Marion Tailgate Market, Marion, McDowell County
What are Fresh Bucks?
Fresh Bucks tokens are extra market dollars for SNAP/EBT users to spend on fresh fruits and vegetables at the market. Fresh Bucks double the buying power of SNAP/EBT users at the market.
For each dollar a SNAP user withdraws from their account to spend at the market, they will be matched an additional dollar, up to a total of $10 Fresh Bucks.
$10 in SNAP + $10 in Fresh Bucks = $20 to spend at the market
$8 in SNAP + $8 in Fresh Bucks = $16 to spend at market
$15 in SNAP + $10 in Fresh Bucks ($10 is the max) = $25 to spend at the market
Pictured: Front & Back of Fresh Bucks Tokens
How Farmers’ Market Customers Can Use Fresh Bucks:
- Similar to SNAP/EBT tokens, Fresh Bucks tokens come in $1 increments and no change is given.
- Eligible items: fresh fruits and vegetables ONLY.
- Fresh Bucks tokens do not expire until the end of the market season. If a customer does not use all of their tokens one day, they can bring them back on their next visit!
- Fresh Bucks tokens can be matched up to $10, once per market day only.
- If you live near one of these markets, please spread the word to friends, family and community members.
- Support RAFI with a donation to support our program.
Pilot Program Partners:
Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project (ASAP)
Elaney Wood Heritage Farmers Market
Morganton Farmers Market
Market Square Farmers Market
Historic Marion Tailgate Market
Made possible with generous support from:
The Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust
For additional information contact RAFI at: (919) 542-1396.