Special Projects and Event Coordinator, Farm Sustainability Program
Application deadline: September 30, 2013
Join Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) as a special projects and event coordination intern and gain skills that are in huge demand across the nonprofit sector today. RAFI-USA is a nonprofit organization based in Pittsboro, NC. Our mission is to cultivate markets, policies and communities that support thriving, socially just and environmentally sound family farms.
We’re expanding the services and activities of our Farm Sustainability program and we’re looking for someone to help us develop and implement creative ideas and strategies. The intern would work with a small team primarily on program development and special event coordination. The fields the internship would allow you to gain experience with include advocacy, policy analysis, strategic communications, event planning, community outreach, and media production.
Our Farm Sustainability Program serves small and mid-scale family farmers by assisting them in transitioning to more sustainable farming operations. We provide training and publications for farmers and advocates on agricultural issues. We advocate for policies that encourage and support the transition to sustainable farming operations.
Potential Intern Duties & Activities:
• Event planning
• Media production (assist with creating videos, photography exhibits, presentations)
• Explore creative ways to increase RAFI-USA’s visibility
• Research and policy analysis; publishing short articles on our website
• Represent RAFI-USA at events
• Assist with special projects, including farmer advocacy training
• Other responsibilities as they develop, based on intern interest areas and organization needs
• Recent graduates, upperclassmen, or students pursuing a master’s degree in Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Public Administration, Public Policy, Environmental studies or a related field
• Strong writing and research skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
• Effective interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to work in a team or independently
• Interest in sustainable agriculture and social justice
How to Apply:
This internship requires a commitment of 20-35 hours per week for 8-10 weeks. Please specify the time period during which you seek to intern. We offer a friendly, informal, and progressive work environment. To apply please submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Brief cover letter explaining your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute during an internship with RAFIUSA
3. Recent writing sample, two-to-five pages in length
Compensation and College Credit:
The position is open until filled and is unpaid. We can help you with arranging college credit. Thank you for your interest.