Farmer Democracy Coordinator
The Farmer Democracy Coordinator will be responsible for the success of RAFI’s technical assistance program by ensuring seamless management, coordination, and delivery of high-quality technical assistance services to vulnerable farmer communities in North Carolina. The Farmer Democracy Coordinator will play a key role in the execution of the Farmer Leadership Network, enterprise development services, and risk management education, as well as serving as the point-of-contact for the farmer hotline and historically underserved producer issues. The Farmer Democracy Coordinator may also provide assistance to related RAFI projects.
CORE FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
- Manage budget and overall direction of project, including but not limited to seeking additional funding, strategic alliances, and growth of project to regional scale
- Maintain and grow relationships with partners, subcontractors, Farm Service Agency and other government officials
- Provide technical assistance to interested farmer-leaders: access to federal programs, resource referral
- Plan, execute, and facilitate one-on-one coaching and group farmer trainings
- Develop and refine leadership curriculum, including research on committees and boards to keep up with regulatory changes
- Base-build with farmer voters and leaders across North Carolina
- Strategize, connect, and engage broader legal, civil rights, and agricultural landscapes
- Plan and conduct workshops on federal farm programs and relevant committees
- Create research and other materials for outreach, including blog posts and website pages
- Write grant reports and proposals
Farm Finance and Business Development
- First point-of-contact for farmer hotline, including resource referral, low-level technical assistance, low-level financial counseling, crisis management and triage
- Low- to mid-level nterprise development guidance for farm business clients
Risk Management Education
- Execute farmer workshops for fall 2016 and spring 2017 on recordkeeping for crop insurance
- 3+ years experience working in agriculture and/or agriculture-related organizations
- Experience in oversight of project work plan development, execution and budget management
- Familiarity with federal farm programs, agencies, and services
- Familiarity with principles of community organizing
- Clear writing and communication skills
- Extremely organized and attentive to detail
- Ability to work both on a team and independently
- Ability to remain sensitive and clear-headed for crisis management situations
- Applicants must demonstrate a proven track record of cultural competency and power analysis, especially when working with people of color, low wealth communities, rural communities, people with limited English proficiency (LEP) and veterans. Must also demonstrate ability to work effectively with diverse communities and build coalition across unlikely partnerships.
- 2+ years experience in community organizing and/or campaigning
- 2+ years experience in oversight of project work plan development, execution and budget management
- Programmatic experience working with farmers or rural communities
- History of successful grant writing
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
How to Apply: Click here to apply online. We will be accepting applications until October 10th. No phone calls, please.
RAFI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental handicap, matriculation, or political affiliation.