Farm Sustainability Outreach Internship
Application deadline: Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Join Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) an intern and gain skills that are in huge demand across the nonprofit sector today. RAFI-USA is a nonprofit organization based in Pittsboro, NC. Our mission is to cultivate markets, policies and communities that support thriving, socially just and environmentally sound family farms.
Our Farm Sustainability program has a number of outreach projects that we’re currently working on, including conducting interviews with farmers and producing media (videos, photo and audio essays) based on our outreach activities. We are currently surveying farmers who have received advocacy services from RAFI as well. We are also building our capacity to do greater outreach-related work through a number of other exciting initiatives. As an intern, you would work with a small team primarily on outreach-related tasks. The fields the internship would allow you to gain experience with include advocacy, community outreach, media production, strategic communications, and event planning.
Our Farm Sustainability Program serves small and mid-scale family farmers by assisting them in transitioning to more sustainable farming operations. We provide training and publications for farmers and advocates on agricultural issues. We advocate for policies that encourage and support the transition to sustainable farming operations.
Potential Intern Duties & Activities:
• Conduct outreach to farmers on behalf of the Farm Sustainability Program
• Survey farmers who have received advocacy services from RAFI
• Media production (assist with creating videos, exhibits, presentations)
• Explore creative ways to increase RAFI-USA’s visibility
• Research and writing; publishing short articles to our website
• Event planning
• Assist with special projects, including conducting interviews
• Other responsibilities as they develop, based on intern interest areas and organization needs
• Undergraduate students, recent graduates, or students pursuing graduate studies in a relevant field
• Strong writing and research skills
• Media literate, technologically apt
• Willing to learn new skills, platforms, and programs (WordPress, etc)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and/or OpenOffice
• Effective interpersonal communication skills
• Trustworthy and reliable; able to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work in a team or independently
• Interest in sustainable agriculture and social justice
How to Apply:
This internship requires a commitment of 15-20 hours per week for 8-10 weeks. Please specify the time period during which you seek to intern. The tentative start date is Monday, September 30, 2013.
Working remotely is a possibility, depending on the requirements of the internship. We offer a friendly, informal, and progressive work environment. To apply please submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Brief cover letter explaining your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute during an internship with RAFI
3. Recent writing sample, two-to-five pages in length
Compensation and College Credit:
The position is open until filled and is unpaid. We can help you with arranging college credit. Please inquire with us about the possibility of a transportation stipend, if you’d like to arrange help with transit costs for commuting to and from work. Thank you for your interest.