Media and Technology Specialist, Farm Sustainability Program
Application deadline: September 30, 2013
Join Rural Advancement Foundation International-USA (RAFI-USA) an intern and gain skills that are in huge demand across the nonprofit sector today. RAFI-USA is a nonprofit organization based in Pittsboro, NC. Our mission is to cultivate markets, policies and communities that support thriving, socially just and environmentally sound family farms.
Our Farm Sustainability Program is building our organization’s media and technology capacity through a number of initiatives. The Media and Technology Specialist intern would help us explore creative ways to use media and technology tools to achieve our greater program goals and mission as an organization. The intern would work with a small team primarily on media and technology-related tasks. The fields the internship would allow you to gain experience with include internal communications, technology planning, online advocacy, event planning (technology-related needs), and media production. The intern would also have the opportunity to attend nonprofit technology related seminars and conferences.
Our Farm Sustainability Program serves small and mid-scale family farmers by assisting them in transitioning to more sustainable farming operations. We provide training and publications for farmers and advocates on agricultural issues. We advocate for policies that encourage and support the transition to sustainable farming operations.
Potential Intern Duties & Activities:
• Learn about and assist with strategic technology planning
• Assist with enhancing and maintaining our website
• Work with our web designer to expand our Farmer Voices project (currently housed at ncfarmervoices.org)
• Media production (assist with creating videos, photography exhibits, presentations)
• A/V work for special events and presentations
• Other special projects as they develop, based on intern interest areas and organization needs
• Recent graduates, upperclassmen, or students pursuing graduate studies in a relevant field
• Media literate, technologically apt
• Familiar with WordPress, Photoshop, and InDesign (or other design and layout programs)
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and/or OpenOffice
• Effective interpersonal communication skills
• Trustworthy and reliable; able to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work in a team or independently
• Interest in sustainable agriculture and social justice
How to Apply: This internship requires a commitment of 20-35 hours per week for 8-10 weeks. Please specify the time period during which you seek to intern. Working remotely is a possibility, depending on the requirements of the internship. We offer a friendly, informal, and progressive work environment. To apply please submit the following via email to email@example.com.
1. Brief cover letter explaining your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute during an internship with RAFI
3. Recent writing sample, two-to-five pages in length
Compensation and College Credit: The position is open until filled and is unpaid. We can help you with arranging college credit. Please inquire with us about the possibility of a transportation stipend, if you’d like to arrange help with transit costs for commuting to and from work. Thank you for your interest.