The Rural Advancement Foundation International’s mission is to cultivate markets, policies, and communities that sustain thriving, socially just, and environmentally sound family farms. We work nationally and internationally, focusing on North Carolina and the southeastern United States. RAFI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Pittsboro, North Carolina and incorporated in 1990.
- Family farmers have the power to earn a fair and dependable income.
- Everyone who labors in agriculture is respected, protected, and valued by society.
- Air, water, and soil are preserved for future generations.
- The land yields healthy and abundant food and fiber that is accessible to all members of society.
- The full diversity of seeds and breeds, the building blocks of agriculture, is reinvigorated and publicly protected.
Our programs address the trends and changes in agriculture that affect us from the local to the global levels.
We combine on-the-ground services with national and international policy advocacy in order to ensure that farmers have access to the tools they need to make the right choices for their farm and families, and to ensure that the best choice for farmers will also be the best choice for the environment and their communities.
Our strategy and organization style is collaborative, achieving results through coalitions, partnerships and affiliations. Working with a variety of farm, community, university and government groups, we promote sustainability, equity and diversity in agriculture through policy changes, practical assistance, market opportunities, and access to financial and technical resources.
We also work on issues from the ground level, through one-on-one work with farm families, up to national and international strategy. This unique approach allows us to bring lessons from the farm to national strategy discussions and bring those national resources and connections back to farm families.